Our client is a Broadcasting services company with a worldwide reach.
They are seeking to hire a Software Development Director to lead its Software Development initiatives for both the broadcasting (B2B) and online (B2C) channels.
This person will be responsible for the internal Software Development teams and external partners that undertake a number of wide-ranging projects.
The Software Development Director role is a critical engineering leadership role of new creation as they are looking to expand and consolidate the Software Development function. The Director will lead growth and development and act as a mentor to the Software Development team members installing a culture of engineering excellence throughout the teams to allow for optimal product delivery.
Current developments regarding are predominantly delivered by external third parties, hired for the purpose. From a technical perspective, however, there is also an existing small number of internal developers, currently assigned to separate departments, that they aim to group under a single competency group/department lead and coached by the individual that they seek to hire under the current call.
This position will be reporting directly to the CTO of the company.
- To grow, manage and lead teams of domain SW architects/tech leads and SW development engineers that will be building, deploying, operating and maintaining essential parts of the digital infrastructure of the hiring organization. To organize those said teams to:
- follow advanced architectural concepts
- meet agreed norms and expectations regarding high availability and reliability, security and evolvability
- and with a throughput consistent to market realities or better
- To maintain accountability for the fulfilment of the above non-functional targets of software development while not diluting the individual direct responsibility of product owners and tech leads for the delivery of specifically assigned software development deliverables.
- To be the custodian of the organization’s owned Information Technology Intellectual Property, as it is being built and maintained by internal and external software development resources that the organization will be using for that purpose. To apply best technical practices so that this IP is properly withheld, that the organization will efficiently continue to exercise its full control on it including its efficient maintenance and continuous evolution.
- To maintain the software development strategy and roadmap of the organization, together with the CTO of the company and in consultation with the rest of the leadership team
- To nourish and grow the software development competency of any internal resources to internationally competitive levels
- To build and maintain best practices around software development, deployment, operations and maintenance that will be applicable for any software development within the organization, either by teams under herself/himself or for other software development projects that are managed independently within the organization
- To code for ca. 5% of their working time.
- Extensive, multi-year experience with at least two major programming languages (e.g. C#, Java)
- Extensive experience with DB design, for both Relational and No SQL implementations
- Extensive, multi-year, experience in the design and implementation of complex multi-tiered web applications.
- Extended experience in designing, implementing and operating scalable and resilient solutions in a distributed cloud-based environment, in AWS and/or Azure
- Extensive experience in API design and implementation technologies
- Experience with Big Data, Hadoop based, designs
- Extensive experience in establishing and operating complex CI/CD workflows
- Extensive experience in setting up and managing QA methodologies during code development and/or code acceptance, either manually or through automation
- Extensive experience in applying agile software development methodologies
Managerial and Collaboration Skills
- Experience managing teams of 10+ software engineers
- Experience working in software development with both internal and external, distributed/remote, teams and individuals
- Experience in Project Management methodologies, both traditional and modern
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English language
- Strong influencing skills
- Have a proven ability to manage complex projects, prioritize, achieve alignment with stakeholders and implement the appropriate course of action
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and collaboratively with other departments.
- BSc or MSc Degree (preferable) in an engineering discipline related with sw development and/or computer science (preferable)
- 5+ years of engineering management experience
- 5+ years as lead tech or domain architect (preferably, not overlapping timewise with the above)
- Cloud Architect certifications/training desirable (e.g. AWS Professional, MCSA: Cloud Platform, etc.)
Our client is a leading global digital platform in its business area – nearly 40 million users a month and rising.
The company has tripled in size and achieved 2X revenue in 2017.
The position is based in the company’s Barcelona office. Travelling at least twice a month to the company’s other European office will be required.
You will form part of the global leadership team and report directly to the CEO.
- You will be responsible for establishing the Company’s technical vision and leading all aspects of the Company’s technology development and implementation. The CTO will be the Company's top technology executive, playing an integral role in the Company’s strategic direction, development and future growth.
- Rapidly assimilate and enrich the Company’s current software engineering processes
- Lead the development and execution of the technology architecture, platform and roadmap
- Manage all technology partnerships and external relationships
- Provide visible leadership for the Company within the technology community
- Act as the Company spokesperson for any technology related matters
- Anticipate and react to major technology changes to ensure the maintenance of company leadership in the competitive landscape
- Establish technical standards and ensure adherence to them for product development and Company operations.
- Coordinate technical development with other departments (marketing, content, sales, product, etc.)
- You will lead and grow team of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development ( currently 60 distributed in two development offices)
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Define and implement engineering best practices and strategies, while tracking key metrics for quality and team performance that results in continuous improvement.
- Actively lead engineering teams and collaborate with CPO, product team, technical leads, individual contributors, and other leaders in the organization
- Own and insure timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs.
Experience to be able to realize all the afore-mentioned responsibilities.
- At least 5 years’ experience managing multidisciplinary development teams of more than 30 (geographically dispersed would be a plus) in a digital online environment/company
- Expertise with agile product development
- Diverse technical background with a good sense for where technology is moving
- Experience with cloud services (e.g. Amazon AWS, Azure)
- Good understanding of software architecture, HA, distributed systems & performance
- Expertise in any of the following is a plus: Core or Standard.Net, PHP, Reactnative
- Experience and expertise in creating or contributing to test plans/metrics to insure maximum quality.
- Experience in a Lean agile environment with CI -CD
- Experience leading mobile development teams as the company is following a clear 'mobile first' strategy.
- An entrepreneurial mindset.