Our client is a Broadcasting services company with a worldwide reach.
They are seeking to hire a Software Development Director to lead its Software Development initiatives for both the broadcasting (B2B) and online (B2C) channels.
This person will be responsible for the internal Software Development teams and external partners that undertake a number of wide-ranging projects.
The Software Development Director role is a critical engineering leadership role of new creation as they are looking to expand and consolidate the Software Development function. The Director will lead growth and development and act as a mentor to the Software Development team members installing a culture of engineering excellence throughout the teams to allow for optimal product delivery.
Current developments regarding are predominantly delivered by external third parties, hired for the purpose. From a technical perspective, however, there is also an existing small number of internal developers, currently assigned to separate departments, that they aim to group under a single competency group/department lead and coached by the individual that they seek to hire under the current call.
This position will be reporting directly to the CTO of the company.
- To grow, manage and lead teams of domain SW architects/tech leads and SW development engineers that will be building, deploying, operating and maintaining essential parts of the digital infrastructure of the hiring organization. To organize those said teams to:
- follow advanced architectural concepts
- meet agreed norms and expectations regarding high availability and reliability, security and evolvability
- and with a throughput consistent to market realities or better
- To maintain accountability for the fulfilment of the above non-functional targets of software development while not diluting the individual direct responsibility of product owners and tech leads for the delivery of specifically assigned software development deliverables.
- To be the custodian of the organization’s owned Information Technology Intellectual Property, as it is being built and maintained by internal and external software development resources that the organization will be using for that purpose. To apply best technical practices so that this IP is properly withheld, that the organization will efficiently continue to exercise its full control on it including its efficient maintenance and continuous evolution.
- To maintain the software development strategy and roadmap of the organization, together with the CTO of the company and in consultation with the rest of the leadership team
- To nourish and grow the software development competency of any internal resources to internationally competitive levels
- To build and maintain best practices around software development, deployment, operations and maintenance that will be applicable for any software development within the organization, either by teams under herself/himself or for other software development projects that are managed independently within the organization
- To code for ca. 5% of their working time.
- Extensive, multi-year experience with at least two major programming languages (e.g. C#, Java)
- Extensive experience with DB design, for both Relational and No SQL implementations
- Extensive, multi-year, experience in the design and implementation of complex multi-tiered web applications.
- Extended experience in designing, implementing and operating scalable and resilient solutions in a distributed cloud-based environment, in AWS and/or Azure
- Extensive experience in API design and implementation technologies
- Experience with Big Data, Hadoop based, designs
- Extensive experience in establishing and operating complex CI/CD workflows
- Extensive experience in setting up and managing QA methodologies during code development and/or code acceptance, either manually or through automation
- Extensive experience in applying agile software development methodologies
Managerial and Collaboration Skills
- Experience managing teams of 10+ software engineers
- Experience working in software development with both internal and external, distributed/remote, teams and individuals
- Experience in Project Management methodologies, both traditional and modern
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English language
- Strong influencing skills
- Have a proven ability to manage complex projects, prioritize, achieve alignment with stakeholders and implement the appropriate course of action
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and collaboratively with other departments.
- BSc or MSc Degree (preferable) in an engineering discipline related with sw development and/or computer science (preferable)
- 5+ years of engineering management experience
- 5+ years as lead tech or domain architect (preferably, not overlapping timewise with the above)
- Cloud Architect certifications/training desirable (e.g. AWS Professional, MCSA: Cloud Platform, etc.)